Festive Portobello Mushroom Bake
This Portobello Mushroom Bake definitely has the WOW factor! This recipe can be whipped up quickly in a matter of minutes and is guaranteed to be loved by both meat eaters and vegetarians. Ideal for a starter or as a light lunch!
- 150g easy-cook long grain rice
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion or 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small courgette, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 50g natural Greek yoghurt
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the rice in lightly salted boiling water for 12 minutes, according to pack instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan oven 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Put the mushrooms, gills facing up, into a roasting tin. Chop the stalks.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the red onion or spring onions and courgette for 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chopped mushroom stalks and herbs and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Drain the rice thoroughly and stir it into the vegetable mixture. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon into the mushrooms.
- Mix together the Greek yogurt and cheese, then spoon it on top of the rice mixture. Transfer to the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.