Cheddar Gorgeous Mushroom and Leek Risotto
You can’t beat this delicious vegetarian risotto, made with risotto rice, dry white wine, leeks, mushrooms and peas – with grated mature Cheddar.
You can find more recipes like this at Just add mushrooms.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300g risotto rice
- 1 pack baby leeks, or 2 medium leeks, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200g chestnut or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 150ml dry white wine
- 900ml hot vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan. Add the rice and cook gently over a low heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring all the time until it looks glossy but not browned.
- Add the leeks, garlic and mushrooms and stir for another minute or two. Pour in the wine and allow it to bubble up, then pour in about half the hot stock. Stir well.
- Cook over a medium-low heat for 20–25 minutes, stirring often and adding the remaining stock a little at a time, until the rice has absorbed all the liquid. Check that the rice is tender. It should have a nice creamy texture, though the rice should retain a little ‘bite’. If it needs cooking for longer, add some extra stock or hot water.
- Add the peas and most of the cheese, stirring gently to mix them in. Check the seasoning, adding some pepper if needed. Serve, sprinkled with the remaining Cheddar.